Sunday, July 12, 2009

"I'm Just Saying - #3"

The scene where Charlotte pokes her head up out of the lagoon after cutting herself free from the parachute so brought to mind the scene in "Apocalypse Now" when Capt. Willard's head emerges from the river. Both Charlotte and Willard are on two missions -- to find a nutcase in control of a renegade faction, and to find the meaning of their lives. You can imagine Charlotte thinking the thoughts of Willard as she ponders her next move, "Part of me was afraid of what I would find and what I would do when I got there. I knew the risks, or imagined I knew. But the thing I felt the most, much stronger than fear, was the desire to confront him."

We don't know if Charlotte was at the end of her sanity in her search for the meaning of her past and future, as was Willard. But we can empathize with the same combination of fear and exhilaration she may have felt. And we can imagine Ben reciting the words of Col. Kurtz as well: "But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. As for the charges against me, I am unconcerned. I am beyond their timid lying morality, and so I am beyond caring." I don't know if TPTB were trying to create a purposeful image link with Charlotte's lagoon moment and "Apocalypse Now", even though Lost bloggers have made other comparisons to Conrad's book "Heart of Darkness" in the early seasons of the show. I'm just sayin'.

4 comments:

lost2010 said...

Hey you're back! I've never seen that movie but the dialogue you quoted seems to fit Charlotte's character well. And the images are eerily similar as well.

lost2010 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pgtbeauregard said...

Hi there! Great posting, and good thoughts. Charlotte does indeed know why she's there, and it's not to get Ben.

Although I have to say, I don't miss her at all, very annoying from the beginning to me.

Capcom said...

Hi ladies!! Yeah, altho Charlie called Locke "Colonel Bloody Kurtz" (I think it was Charlie) which is a reference to Apocalypse Now (which is probably why Lost fans were talking about Heart Of Darkness which the movie is from), Charlotte sure looked like it too when she was emerging from the jungle waters, and Ben could be Kurtz deep within his unethical jungle politics.

I missed Charlotte for Daniel's sake, but now he's dead anyway so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

Thanks for stopping by! :-D